Sunday 5 May 2013

Bubur Terigu aka Ta Mai

Actually I wasn't craving to eat bubur terigu. I happened to be at Sainsbury and passed by and saw this.


All of a sudden, in my mind's eye, I saw bubur terigu! Dont know whether it is or not, but it did look like it, so bought it.

Made it a total of 3 times just to get the perfect feel/texture.

Surfed the net and most people said to soak it for a couple of hours but it was about 9.30pm when I was wanting to cook it, so only soaked it for 10 mins and then started cooking it. Boiled it for about an hour and a half and then it was ready. Not too bad.

Next day I tried it again but this time using the slow cooker. Hmm... you can use the slow cooker but not cook it overnight. I did it from around 11pm to when I woke up at 6am and nah... too soft, not much bite.. but hey you may like it but it's not for me.

So last night tried again and yah, I think I got it right this time.

Ingredients:
1 cup wheatberries
1 to 1 1/2 litres water
pinch of salt 
2 tbsp sugar or to taste
coconut milk to taste

Method:
1. Wash the wheatberries 3 - 4 times well.
2. Add 1 ltr of water first and bring to boil. Once it has come to boil, turn fire down to low.
3. You have to keep watching and stirring bottom of pan every 10 - 15 mins or so as the wheatberries catch at the bottom.
4. Add more water if it is drying out. 
5. Once the wheatberries have softened to your liking, add salt, sugar and coconut and it's ready!






6 comments:

Bearhungry said...

Tina, yummilicious. Have not eaten this for years liao. Thanks for sharing love.

tina said...

My pleasure, Chin Fern.

Lee said...

Hi Tina, this happens to be my all time favourite, for when watching TV. I'll add a couple of ice cubes.
I learned to love this when very young, my mom used to make it often.
I must keep an eye open for this packet next time in a Chinese supermarket.
Never knew its called 'wheatberries'.
You have a nice day, keep well.
Lee.

tina said...

Lee, look out for it in the Western supermarket, not Chinese. hehe

Thanks for coming to my pondok and you have a great day too!

Rumbling Tummy said...

I enjoyed this when I was young but now no one wants this at home and I am the deprived.

tina said...

E, aiyo in Singapore it is so easy just to go to a food court and buy a bowl lor, hehe

Pages