Sunday 11 March 2012

Tofu Fa

Tofu Fa

Years ago, before the hype of homemade tofu fa came about, I used to make my own soya bean milk and from there using gypsum made tofu fa.

But these last couple of years just sort of got lazy and when I did want to have tofu fa, I would buy the "house brand instant" tofu fa.

Then when the hype picked up, I tried doing it again but this time using store bought soya milk and gypsum, but somehow the tofu did not want to set. Thinking that there was some additive to the soya milk, I made my own soya milk and added gypsum. Still did not set, so gave up making.

Then found this recipe on HK's blog..

Before making it, I was a bit skeptical as to the texture of the tofu fa. I thought it would be like jelly seeing that the recipe called for the use of agar2 powder. But after an hour in the fridge, boy was I smiling away - it really is soft and silky - just like the real tofu fa and so much more easier to make! Thanks a million HK!


Ingredients:
1/2 tsp agar-agar powder (Picture below)
600ml unsweetened soya bean milk at room temperature

(Syrup)
50ml water
100g dark brown sugar
thumb-size ginger (smashed)


Method:
1/ Pour 300ml of soya bean milk into a pot and heat it up over gentle fire on the stove.
2/ Mix the agar-agar powder into the other 300ml of soya bean milk, then add this mixture to the pot.
3/ Stir the contents in the pot, and once soya bean milk boils, remove it from fire and remove any froth that appears on the surface.
4/ Sieve into a container and let it set in the fridge till firm before serving with syrup.
5/ As for the syrup, bring water, brown sugar and ginger to a boil in a pot till sugar dissolves and it is ready to be used.



No comments:

Pages