Saturday 27 August 2011

Heritage Food Trail - Apom Bokwa

Heritage Food Trail - Apom Bokwa
I am late in submitting this but anyways, here it is.

This is a Peranakan dessert called Apom Bokwa. It is not very well known so I thought it would be good to post this dessert to tell people about it.

I have copied this recipe from Kuali.com - Amy Beh. My mum has her own recipe and I did not have time to get it from her, hence from Kuali. The recipe is ok, although on cooling the apom gets a bit hard, so when I do get the recipe from my mum, I will make it again and know that it will be as soft as I remember it to be.

When I was about to start making it on Saturday, there was a bit of a panic as I knew my mum had bought 2 apom bokwa pans but I searched high and low and could not find them, but luckily remembered where I put them.

Ingredients
(A) - Mix these ingredients together and leave aside to soak for 10 minutes:

500g rice flour
25g glutinous rice
300ml coconut water
(B) - Mix these ingredients, leave aside for 15 minutes. Cook over low flame until it turns gluey to make "Ebu":

50g rice flour
150ml water
(C) - Mix these ingredients and leave aside to froth:

1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tbsp instant yeast
(D):

160ml pati santan
Sauce: (A):

75g brown sugar
50g gula melaka
175ml water
3 pandan leaves
(B) - Mix these ingredients together and allow the rice to expand:

2 tbsp glutinous rice flour
25ml water
(C):

50ml pati santan
1/4 tsp salt
Method
Blend ingredients (a) and (b) together. Mixin 1/2 tsp salt and stir well with a hand whisk. Add in (c) and set aside for 30 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth for it to rise to double its size. Blend in (d) and proof for another 50 minutes. Heat a brass apom mould and grease lightly with corn oil.

Pour in enough batter to fill the mould three-quarters full and cook over medium heat. Cook till bubbles appear. Cover mould with a lid till the top part of the apom is cooked. Touch centre of apom with finger - if it is firm and not sticky, the apom is ready.

To make sauce: Bring (a) to a boil, strain the hot syrup into (b). Stir well and transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium low flame. Add in (c) and stir well till sauce thickens. Pour sauce into a small bowl and serve with apom bokwa.
Note 1: I made half the batter and got around 18 apoms.
Note 2: I added sliced bananas to the sauce as this is what my mum used to do.

I am submitting this post to Heritage Food Trail hosted by Edith of Precious Moments

Thanks Edith for giving us a chance to learn about each other's food cultures.



No comments:

Pages