Saturday 12 February 2011

Sambal Lengkong - Fish Floss

Sambal Lengkong aka Fish Floss


I have been wanting for the longest time to make this dish. I have been asked by a friend for the recipe and told her that I would try it out myself first before giving it to her.

I looked at so many recipes on the net and the one that appealed to me was Lily's recipe Lily's blog. as it uses the microwave to cook it. I am all for quick and fast food!

This is her recipe below. I modified it slightly.

Ingredients:

2 pieces of fish fillet
300 ml thick coconut milk
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 heaped tablespoon Thai Red Curry Paste - use less if you dont want it too spicy
1/2 tsp roasted belacan powder

Method:

1.Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. When it comes to the boil, put the fish fillets in for a couple of minutes until it is cooked.

2. Flake them when they are warm and they should be flaked very finely.
Mix the red curry paste, belacan, salt and sugar with the coconut milk in a large microwable bowl until well combined.

3. Add in the flaked fish and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir thoroughly. Cook further, until it is almost dry. (I had to microwave it for more than 2 minutes)

4. Turn them onto a baking tray and put in a pre-heated oven at 160 deg. Bake for a couple of minutes but watch carefully as they will catch and burn very quickly. Once the floss is coloured and crispy, put them into a food processor or liquidiser and process them till it gets nice and light and airy. (I added this step)

Below is the final result.

No comments:

Pages